Pope Francis has invited us on several occasions, in particular in his convocation on 12 September 2019 and in his relaunch on 15 September 2020, to build the Global Compact on Education (GCE). This proposal is in line with his magisterial teaching, which we find expressed with perseverance and coherence in the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii gaudium, and in the encyclicals Laudato Si’ and Fratelli tutti.
The official GCE website is :
In response to the Pope’s appeal, OIEC has mobilised and committed itself to building this global pact with others at local level. Together with the Education Commission of the UISG-USG, and with the support and coordination of the Congregation for Catholic Education (CEC), OIEC has developed a roadmap with 5 concrete actions, which each institution will be able to contextualise and adapt, while at the same time each of them can also promote other actions that it deems appropriate.
ACTION 1: Book “Lights on the way to GCE”
In the summer of 2020, the OIEC is publishing with SM Editors the book “Luces para el camino: Pacto Educativo Global” which presents a collection of ideas from students, parents and Catholic education leaders, including teachers and headmasters, on the challenges they see for Catholic education and the unique contributions of schools. The book will serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement for reflection, dialogue and collaboration in fulfilling the mission of Catholic schools.
To download the book : http://oiecinternational.com/contributions/
ACTION 2: Invitation to use the official GCE logo on documents
The OIEC has invited its members to place the official GCE logo on their official documents, websites, social networks, etc.
ACTION 3: Building the Education Pact – from local to global. Guidelines and phases.
- Phase 1: Work on the Compact in each educational centre.
- Phase 2: Build the Compact with the other centres in the town or district.
- Phase 3: Building the Compact with local communities.
- Phase 4: Building the Compact at national or international level.
ACTION 4: A manual on building an education pact locally, starting with each education centre and each municipality.
ACTION 5: Programme and materials for the training and updating of agents and directors of educational establishments.
The questionnaire has a threefold objective:
- Understand how we are progressing in the process of building the pact.
- Inspire each other to redouble our efforts to make this local and global pact a reality.
- Gather together some significant initiatives and experiences of how the pact is being invited and built from different institutions and contexts, uniting wills and listening to everyone.
- The questionnaire is in 5 languages: Spanish. English, French, Italian and Portuguese.